Saturday, April 08, 2006

First Time

Hello.

Please excuse how incomplete this Blog looks. This is my first post, and the first time starting a Blog. I still need to enter a profile, maybe some photos and etc.

It’s 6:30am, the Sun is rising and guests will be checking out soon. What can I tell you about the job? Well, last night was a typical Friday night. I check-in at 11:30pm. I check with the previous shift front desk person who is back after being sick for about a week (He still does not look and sound well. He was coughing and hacking like there was no tomorrow. Not to mention he looks like he has lost weight.) If there is anything I should know.

We are sold out, have 4 arrivals and the night has been quiet. He then leaves needing to go home and get some rest. I proceed to count cash and find the cash drawer short by $9.45. This is the first time I have been faced with a cash low drawer. We should have around $200.00 usually it’s over by a few cents.

I try to call the mobile phone of the 2nd shift front desk guy hoping his phone is on, to find out if he had maybe issued any guest refunds and forgot to enter them in the system. Unfortunately the phone is off and I have to enter the discrepancy in our incident Log Book.

I then proceed to change our security tape, sort the transaction receipts, confirm they reconcile with our system and then do a Bucket Check.

The Bucket is a file drawer with hard-signed copies of all our checked in guests, the rooms they are in and has imprints of their credit cards. It is our backup incase the computer system goes down. Bucket Checking is basically making sure all the paper work is there.

I received a phone call at about 12:30 from the GM (General Manager) just checking to make sure I am ok and to see if there are any problems. None except the cash drawer discrepancy. He says “OK”. On my shift I am the only employee here and don’t get to interact much with my coworkers. He likes to touch bases with me a couple of times a month just to make sure everything is OK. He is a good guy.

In fact all my coworkers are great. This is really the first place I have worked all my years where everybody seems to get along and there is no drama. Of course, it could be working alone most the time keeps me isolated from it. Everybody does their job in a way to make their co-workers easier. The only thing I have noticed, as a problem is that there has been a lot of illness going around and people calling in sick. I find myself getting over time due to itJ. Knock on wood; I have not missed a day yet.

At 1am, I grab Maggie (a 2-foot long MAG flashlight with 4 D Cell batteries to add to a skull cracking weight) and do a walk around the hotel. Everything is quiet. I then kick back and surf the web and listen to music. I check in 3 of my 4 remaining arrivals and tell 4 walk-ins that we are sold out. The usual question I get is “Why are you sold out?” What is going on? My response. It’s a Friday night.

2:30am I walk once again around the hotel. All is quite.

When I get back from my walk, I proceed to check in the arrival that has not shown up yet and run my reports. I sort the paper work and fax every thing to the different owners and create a large pack of reports for the controller. The procedure takes about 20 minutes.

I then make coffee in my Mr. Coffee pod machine and kick back till 4am.

4am I once again walk around the hotel. Walking around the hotel takes between 10-15 minutes. I always take the stairs since it is the only form of exercise it get. The hotel is small and we have only three floors. All is open courtyard.

I get a call at 6:53am. The morning front desk calls in to inform me he is sick and will not be able to make it in. This means more overtime for me. I will have to wait an extra hour till the morning assistant manager comes in and then let him know he is on his own today.

At 7am I check-in my remaining arrival as a no show. They get charged for a 1nights stay even though they did not come in. Guests have up till 6pm until the date of arrival to cancel otherwise they will be charged for the night. I know of some hotels that will charge for the entire length of stay. Hey I could have sold that room.

Now I chill and direct guests to the breakfast room even though they were informed at check-in where it is and are handed a slip of paper with the information.
So far I have only checked out 2 guests. We have 38 to go. Checkout is at 12pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home